RIDE DON'T HIDE
“Ride Don’t Hide” is a community bike ride hosted by the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA), with the goal to raise awareness and help break the stigma surrounding mental health while raising essential funds to support mental health programs. Rides were hosted in five provinces in 35 communities with the aim to engage over 10,000 participants and raise $2,000,000 in 2017.
The community event is a ride, not a race, with routes designed for riders of all ages and abilities—from novice rider to the advanced cyclist. Regardless of distance, riders travelled a route supported from start to finish with rest stops, water to fuel the journey, fans to cheer them on, and enjoyed a fun day on their bike for a great cause!
Once again in 2017, True Experience hosted “Ride Don’t Hide” in partnership with Canadian Mental Health Association Brant Haldimand Norfolk. Two rides/routes were offered: 15 km Family Friendly Ride suitable for all ages and levels of fitness. New in 2017 was the 50 km Guided Scenic Tour that showcased the beauty of Haldimand County.
Pictures from the event - Click to enlarge
“True Experience is very proud to be involved with an event like Ride Don’t Hide that has such a positive message. 1 in 5 Canadians will experience mental illness at some point during their lifetime. The reality is one way or another, mental illness will impact everyone. Let’s do our part to get the conversation started about mental wellness and keep it going. Please help us help others in our community” said Sandie Heirwegh, Executive Director of True Experience.
In 2016, a total of $1.44 million was raised and 7,217 riders rode in 32 simultaneous Ride Don’t Hide events across Canada. In Brant-Haldimand Norfolk, a total of $11,700 was raised through sponsorships, donations and registrations.
Ride Don’t Hide raises awareness and uses funds to make a significant impact in our communities. Funds raised from this event stay in the community to enhance and develop a variety of mental health promotional and educational programs and services.
Mental illness, like all health issues, responds best to early diagnosis, treatment and other supportive interventions. Increased awareness and access to information ensures that individuals and families know where to turn for help and support. Ultimately, our collective goal is to make the lives of persons living with mental illness less of a struggle as our communities learn to understand and appreciate the challenges they face every day. There is no health without mental health.
A ride of this magnitude would not be possible without the many volunteers, sponsors and supporters. True Experience extends sincere thanks for the generosity of the following sponsors of “Ride Don’t Hide” in Haldimand for 2017:
Ride Don’t Hide Bronze Sponsors 2017
Ride Don’t Hide Community Sponsors 2017
EJ Pet Care
405 Ross Avenue
184 Logan Road
Ride Don’t Hide Silent Auction 2017
Another attraction featured in 2017 was the Silent Auction. True Experience is grateful for the support of local businesses who donated over 100 items. A grand total of $1,824.00 was raised by the Silent Auction! Of course, this would not have been possible without the community members who supported the auction by purchasing items. Thank you to each and every one of you.
Silent Auction Donors
- Barking Barber, Dunnville
- Barnett Wealth Management, Dunnville
- Best Wishes Edible Gifts, Dunnville
- Canadian Tire, Dunnville
- Cayuga Mutual
- Cayuga Car Wash Inc.
- Cayuga Golf Course
- Cayuga Home Hardware
- Cayuga Pharmacy
- Country Chip Wagon, Dunnville
- Christine’s Creative Photography, Dunnville
- Dunnville Art Service Office Supply
- Dunnville - Lakeview Farms
- Ever-Well Health, Cayuga & Caledonia
- First Ontario Credit Union, Cayuga
- Food Basics, Dunnville
- Foodland, Cayuga
- Giant Tiger, Dunnville
- Haldimand Curling Club
- Haldimand Motors, Cayuga
- Haldimand Press
- Hauser's Pharmacy, Dunnville
- Healing Journey Naturopathic Clinic, Caledonia
- Julia's Bistro, Dunnville
- Laverty’s Home Furnishings, Dunnville
- Mattressman, Dunnville
- Olde Fisherville Hotel, Fisherville
- Cayuga Pets'n More
- Pharma Save Grand River Pharmacy, Dunnville
- Premier Martial Arts, Dunnville
- Re/Max - Escarpment Reality Inc., Jeff Potter, Cayuga
- Richard Beldman, Dunnville
- Rural Route Computing, Lowbanks
- Ruthven Park, Cayuga
- Shelly's Family Dining, Kohler
- Steeped Tea, Kate Head, Dunnville
- Sun Waves Spa, Caledonia
- Sunflower Café, Selkirk
- Grand Erie Home Hardware Building Centre, Dunnville
- Talbot Wood, Cayuga
- Tenpine Web Development, Welland
- The Blue Barn, Cayuga
- The Neat Little Bookshop, Cayuga
- Turkstra Lumber, Dunnville
- Twisted Lemon, Dunnville
- Village Shop, Selkirk
- Flyers Café, Dunnville
- Norwex, Debra Martin, Dunnville
- Bains Road Cider Co., Dunnville
- Tailored Financial Solutions, Scott Moore, Grimsby
- Towne Café, Dunnville
- A&W, Dunnville
- Grand River Marina, Dunnville
- Queen St. Paint & Décor, Dunnville
- Blooming Designs Florist and Gift Shop, Dunnville
- Grand Wellness Health Centre, Dunnville
- Mudcat Bowling Centre / Aces Bar and Grill, Dunnville
- Sweet Retro-Spect, Dunnville
- Lashes by Kylie, Good Looks Hair Design, Dunnville
- KRTS, Caledonia
- BJ Take Inc., Dunnville
- Back 40, Cayuga
- Broecheler Inn - Helga's Bakery, Cayuga
- Rainbow Marketing, Dunnville
- Margaret Clark, Dunnville
- Atizu Cycling Apparel, Attila Elek, Dunnville
- Wendy's Sew Nice, Dunnville
- The Broken Spoke Bicycle Repair, Port Colborne – on site cycle repair
- Haldimand Fire Department Lowbanks Station - just in case!
- Tim Horton’s Cayuga donated the morning coffee
- Rosa Flora – beautiful bouquets of fresh cut flowers
- Cable 14
- The Sachem
- The Haldimand Press
- Councillor Bernie Corbett – welcoming remarks
- Attila Elek – route designer and guide of the 50 km ride
- The Staff and Clients of True Experience!
We look forward to seeing everyone
again in 2018!